An Interesting Road to Nowhere

As I've been going through the City of Orlando streets, I stumbled on this quite by accident.  They were perfectly paved and marked roads with a playground, parking, and what appeared to be houses, with roads that abruptly end.  I thought at first this might be an incomplete neighborhood in progress.  In these situations, I'm usually debating whether or not these count as streets, but as I looked closer, I had a sneaking suspicion about this:


It just so happened that I had seen a video about something similar, but I wanted to confirm my suspicions.  So I looked this up in Google Maps, its actually this:

https://childrensafetyvillage.org

It's a miniature mockup of a set of roads for children to explore and learn about how traffic behaves on the streets.  This is meant to be an educational tool for young children to help them understand crossing the street, being around parked cars, etc. in a safe environment. 

These have been used in the Netherlands to teach children nearing the completion of Primary School how to use the roads so that they would be prepared to safely ride a bicycle to school.  It probably helps a bunch with understanding the rules of the road when the time comes to drive a car.  This is a video by Bicycle Dutch that shows this concept:



These are also catching on in the US.  This is one that was recently built in Portland. 


https://bikeportland.org/2016/10/03/seattles-new-traffic-garden-is-the-perfect-place-to-learn-the-rules-of-the-road-192710

Comments