A Most Important Question

If I could think of a single question that when asked would do the most good for any human being, it would be, 'What do you Want?'

Why this question? Because it begins to clarify the desired outcome; we can develop intent and make that intent the guiding principle by which we make all future decisions.  What do you want?  A million dollars?  A steady job?  Peace on Earth?  You can see the outcome, and start to work backwards and trace a path.  Even as you read this, I bet you're finding it easier to sketch a path towards a million dollars (education, work, save, invest...)

The other powerful effect that this question has is one of economy.  If I want something, like a material good, I am willing to divert my energy and resources to obtaining that thing.  I am at peace with not having all of the other things that I do not want.

I feel like I am in a fog when I don't know what I want.  I can't orient myself and provide motivation towards a goal.  Coming into work, sitting down and asking myself, 'What do you want to do today?' has a profound effect on my day for the better.   If your job sucks, then asking the question becomes just that much more salient.

Life can be simple and better if we just ask ourselves what we want and work towards those desires.  We would be a happier nation.  We wouldn't be jealous of others either.  When you see someone driving in a nice car or taking out an expensive toy, just tell yourself that they wanted those things, and like everyone else on the planet, had to forgo something else to obtain those items.  Some may get more and some may get less, but none gets it all.

You can have anything that you want, but you can't have everything.

Comments