DART Creates Options

This morning, the weather was nice. The sun was rising but still low in the sky as I departed for the train station from my house. I usually walk to the station, which is almost exactly 1 mile away. These are great times to clear my head or think about the days' tasks beforehand. Sometimes I just put in headphones and listen to music to zone out.

As I crossed under I-45 nearing Pearl St., I decided that I would walk all the way to the West End where my office is rather than take DART. This is the joy of DART. Some people would complain about the idea of having to walk some great distance to a bus stop or a train station, but I wouldn't. I like the exercise and the meditation. If these are good, then I can opt to go a little further, to walk some more, or just go to the next station down. I also like the idea of walking or biking all the way because of the added physical activity. I have been looking for a way to kick things up a notch, and this is the perfect fit. It really doesn't take that much longer because I don't have to wait for the train to pull into the station. Also, now I am burning closer to 400 calories a day with walking versus the 200 I was burning before.

I think most people would love to be within walking distance of where they work. The old Frank Lloyd Wright model of division of life into home and work just doesn't cut it anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to work out of my home or anything like that, but I imagine a lot of people just wish they were a little closer or more convenient to their work.

On the DART front, we are getting very close to the opening of the new Green Line which will run to interesting places like Fair Park and Victory Park which, thanks to the recession, is now within the price range of mere mortals! Someday soon, the train will run to Love Field, and eventually branch off to the Orange line with service to DFW Airport in 2013.

Oh yeah, and if you are looking for proof that the design profession is growing more stupid and gullible by the day, look no further than here. And another thing, is there some sort of food shortage in America that I am not aware of? Half of these ReBurbia entries have some kind of urban farming co-op. I could have sworn I read somewhere that Americans can satisfy their daily vegetable requirements for $.68 a day, or less than 10 minutes of work a day at minimum wage. Let's see, 10 minutes flipping burgers or countless hours toiling to grow veggies that are no where near as big or healthy as the stuff in the store?

Comments