Crazies in the Park

Well today my wife had to travel to Albany on business, so I decided to dust off the camera and the ole' Linux box and do some photography. On my way out this morning, I walked through the park headed towards downtown when I heard a quiet voice a hundred yards away or so. It was a gentleman sitting on the bleachers behind the home plate of the parks baseball diamond. Walking away from him, I thought that he might have been on the phone. As I moved away from his position, his voice grew louder and louder, and it became apparent that he was holding a fictitious conversation with his 'dad' via a hand positioned as though holding a phone. His 'conversation' went something like this:

"Hey dad! I had the funniest thing happen today! Somebody came to look at my crotch and I mean that must mean he's gay, right?! Then another guy was leaning forward [possibly a critique of my posture] and that must mean he is gay! That's what gays do! [Presumably referring to another person cutting across the park holding a bag] And if they have a bag, that man is such a faggot gay faggity fag!"

When I reached the end of the sidewalk, he was yelling at the top of his lungs filling the entire park with his crazed speech. It was all I could do not to laugh as people listened in horror to this man. I guess he just wanted to be noticed, and I would say he succeeded. I had half a mind to flag down a passing police cruiser and see if they would lend a hand to this clearly disturbed individual.

The park has a lot of activity and never really feels dangerous, but homeless people and crazies like to hang out there to go BM in the public toilet, and because of its close proximity to a free clinic and the Baylor hospital complex.

For photos (no, not of the crazy hobo), check out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39968747@N08/

Comments