Updates

Well, it's been a while since I posted an update to this blog. First, I have discovered a group on Flickr that is dedicated to photos of people getting arrested on DART. Coincidentally, most seem to be at the bus transfer station in the West End. Check out my profile, user name tjsbocaj, on flickr to find the group!

Onto other news, I had a North Texas moment a couple of weeks ago on the train while riding to work. Normally as I approach the Pearl Street station, I happen to catch a red line train coming in from Plano and ride southbound to the other side of town. However, I was running a little late (like 5 minutes) and instead of the red line, a blue line train pulls up.

Now normally, I like to ride the blue line trains because they are less crowded and the people are nicer. I guess Plano people have a bad attitude. I would to if it was standing room only on a train north for thirty minutes! The train isn't too crowded, true to form, and I spot a bench about midway up the car. All of the other seats had single occupants and I think it's more polite not to unnecessarily crowd them. I take the seat and set my bag down to the side. As I look up, there is a rather heavy set, bald gentleman sitting in the seat in front of me. He seemed out of place because of his casual dress (jeans and a T-shirt if memory serves me right).

When I ride, I put in a pair of sound blocking headphones that look like ear plugs and go into the ear canal. These are wonderful for blocking out unwanted noise. Regretably, they could not block out unwanted light. This guy turns and begins to stare at me as we pull out of the Pearl Street station. For three stops, he offers an unflinching stare, never looking away. In my effort to avoid looking directly into his face, I spotted an unusual insect that looked like a wasp, but wasn't. Sort of like a flying cockroach.

It was flying around the car and swooping down on unsuspecting ladies' hair. People were moving about the car to avoid the insect. As we pull out of the Akard Street station, the insect comes to rest on a vertical grab bar across the aisle from the fat man. The lady in the seat with the bar was blissfully unaware of the insects presence.

As I glanced back in front of me, I noticed the guy taking off one of his shoes. Without telling anyone, he swung as hard as he could at the bug. The impact scared the daylights out of the woman in the seat who I am sure thought she was being assaulted. All of the other passengers that were in the car must have thought the same thing, and began a stampede for the car behind us. Just as this was happening, we were pulling into the West End station, and with a grin I slowly disembarked from the train, knowing that a call to the DART police was sure to ensue.

Comments