Trip to Nowhere


Though this was some time ago, I am reminded of a time when my wife had to work very late, and so I was on my own for dinner. With my office being only three blocks from a train station, and since I was walking home every day at that time, I decided to travel to a new venue and try something different. At first, I was thinking about going to Mockingbird Station. There are some good restaraunts there, as well as ice cream. And I am a man who loves his ice cream. So I hop on a blue line train and off I went. En route to Mockingbird, I glanced over at the diagram of all the train stops for the line, and I noticed that the line ended at Downtown Garland. Perfect!

Surely, there are all sorts of cool restaraunts in downtown Garland, right? So we finally pull into the station (I was about the only person left on the train anyway) As I disembark, I notice on the schedule that service is infrequent and that there aren't many evening trains that head back to Dallas. Making a mental note, I head into town. As I walk, it becomes very obvious that there is no one there. The place is like a ghost town. All of the stores are closed. None of the restaurants were open. There was even an old style town square a la Back to the Future style, sans the people.

Moral of the story? Downtown Garland sucks, don't go there. Thats it. Those are 60 minutes of my life I will never get back. And I will never forget...

Comments